THE HISTORY OF MEEKER, COLORADO
  • Hefley ​Rural School

    ​For 19 years this log school, built in 1892, served the increasing number of families in the area. The property was originally owned by J. C. Swarts but later acquired by Charles Hefley who had married Swarts daughter, Mary. Those attending from the north side of the White River had adventurous crossings by boat, buggy, and horseback, or in winter trekking over the ice. A fire destroyed the school in April 1911 with a medley of stories handed down in recollections concerning its cause.

      Questions or Feedback

    Submit
    Picture
    Created by: Meeker Public Library - Designed & Researched by: Regan Mobley 
    ​