The White River Museum is one of the most treasured community driven buildings in Meeker. They have provided Meeker with showing its history and making sure no one forgets the past that allows us to live in/visit and enjoy Meeker today. The Meeker Public Library owes many of the facts and photos of this project to them. Below you can learn about the founding and history of the museum as well as what it's like today.
Like many businesses in Meeker, the White River Museum started in a previous military barrack that was left vacant after all soldiers left Meeker. Unlike most businesses, the White River Museum continues to be in two of the military barracks on Park Street. The buildings have stood since 1880, and have kept the original structure. The Museum is split into two different buildings, each containing artifacts and interesting pieces of Meeker's history. The White River Museum has been very valuable and has been able to keep the history of Meeker alive since the founding.
Today the White River Museum is still in two of the original military barracks. The first building has most of the pioneer collection with different artifacts such as early fashion, transportation, agriculture and much more. The second building, also known as the Garrison, has many artifacts from Utes such as Chief Colorow’s peace pipe, the Indian Agency Room, the Officer’s Quarters and the Military Room. All of this can be seen at the White River Museum on Park Avenue in Meeker. Again, this project is very thankful to the White River Museum for all information and pictures used in this project that were provided by them.