The first school on the Mesa was a three month school held on the Zitzman property in 1888. A location site was later established and in 1889 a log school 20X18 feet was under construction. At this time the district was still a part of Garfield County. By the time the schoolhouse was completed in May 1890 Rio Blanco County had been created. In 1908 a new school was completed by W.A. Thomas with elaborate features for that time. Children rode horses or walked to school. Horses grazed in the schoolyard and there was a covered shed for them during inclement weather. Students were fortunate to have a large playground area for games, a field for baseball, also a sledding hill in the winter. In 1950 Mesa District voted for consolidation so the children were bused to Meeker Schools. The school was leased by the Mesa Community Association and used for many activities. In 1967 the Mesa School was moved to 11th and Garfield and is used as of 2013, by the Meeker Community Church.