The very first school to be established in Rio Blanco County was actually in Garfield Country. Rio Blanco County was created from Garfield County in 1889. In 1883 after the soldiers left the “Camp on The White River” settlers held school in the Military Hospital building through 1889. This building was a vital part of the pioneer community. It also served as the public hall, church meeting house, and a dancing room. As of 2013, this building is still located in the town of Meeker at a different site and used as a private residence.