Residents of the 9 Mile area petitioned for a school as early as 1904. However, contractor W. A. Thomas didn’t receive approval for construction until 1915.Upper Coal Creek finally opened in January 1916. The log structure was 18 feet x 22 feet with a good roof and floor. It was often called the Picture Rock School as it was near Native American rock art. The school closed in 1935.